Monday, December 10, 2012

DIY Clip-In Hair Extensions



Youtube is just absolutely amazing. Honest. There isn't anything you can think of that isn't on Youtube already! So, thanks to Youtube, here's another DIY that I have just completed.

I just relaxed my hair after about a year and a half hiatus. My hair texture is very "'fine" aka thin! So I usually use a weave to  give my hair body as well as length. But this time I want to keep my hair healthy and protected despite wearing a weave. With clip-ins I can remove them easily, wash, treat and moisturize easily. That is the main reason I have chosen to go the way of clip-ins. Not to mention it is easier on the pocket!



It is pretty easy and all you need are:
  1. Hair Extension (of your choice)
  2. Wig Clips
  3. Needle & Thread
  4. Scissors
  5. Elbow grease *-*

For my Antiguans, wig clips are available from most of the Beauty Supply Stores in St John's. Ayoushee sells them for EC$4.95 per pair (both small and medium are the same price); while Sam's has them for EC$5.75 per pair. (Pricey when you realize the amount of clips you need but much cheaper in the long run with not having to go to a hairdresser).

Here is a clip on how to make your own clip-in hair extensions.


And here is how to install them!


You can even plait up your hair and clip in your extensions!



So, ladies, browse around Youtube for other clips as you can also make clip-in bangs etc. You can also wear clip-ins as a full head application (that is braiding your full head and clipping in your extensions). The possibilities are virtually endless so go on and have some fun with it!



Tips: 
* Clip-ins are meant to last a very long time so when choosing extension be sure to use those of good quality that are sure to last as long as you hope for. 
* In the videos, they often double the weave before sewing onto the clip. However, for those with thinner hair (like myself) you may want to stitch one layer onto the lower holes and the other layer in the top holes. This will reduce the bulkiness for thin hair.
* Regular needle and regular black thread are just as effective as weave threads and needles. Don't go buying unnecessary things.

Enjoy x

PS - don't forget to talk back to me if you have done these before or if you plan to do so after reading this post!



2 comments:

  1. I've never tried this! Great Idea!!! I only use coloured tracks. this is a great I idea...have i said that already??? It really is! I'm going to try this... I wont have random blobs of glue in my hair anymore!
    Much Love
    Chari T (deep fried stilettos)xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with it. I love them so far! So so fun and easy. I love the fact that I can easily wash and treat my hair without worry of glue coming lose or the sew in being in the way! Pop out and in.
      Just great!

      Delete